Position: Biologics Lab Technician
Reports To: BTC Manager
- Produces biologics and performs safety tests (QA/QC) of all productions processes.
- Examines blood plate cultures and identifies pathogens by serology and/or further culturing.
- Maintains quality assurance records, accurate sample logs and files of laboratory procedures and results.
- Prepares agar and broth media for microbiological diagnostic activities.
- Maintains cleanliness of all biologics production and storage areas including and not limited to; incubators, coolers and freeze driers. Cleans and disinfects rooms after processes are completed.
- Cleans glassware and prepares it for autoclaving.
- Maintains the working order of the autoclaves informs manager of any needed repairs.
- Prepares and distributes pharmaceuticals and vitamin supplements.
- Enters incoming samples into the computer log.
- Completes salmonella testing on incoming samples: Starting samples, transferring samples and plating samples. Reads, records, and reports results of incoming samples.
- Prepares outgoing supplies for farms and hatcheries.
- Testing of carcass rinse from plant.
- Does gram staining.
- Tests all Serenade Foods samples for: Listeria and further testing of Listeria isolates, and Salmonella.
- Cleans work areas including floors in the lab.
- Maintains Standard Operating Procedures.
- Performs related duties as required.
- High School diploma, with a vet technical degree desirable. Degree in biology, microbiology or animal science preferred. Alternatively; college level course work pertaining to biology with exposure to laboratory setting or bench work experience acquired while working in a scientific laboratory, veterinary hospital and/or hospital laboratory environment is helpful.
- The position requires the acquiring standard laboratory bench skills such as; utilizing aseptic and sterilization techniques, pipetting and working with microbial broths and agars.
- Mechanical aptitude is helpful
- May be required to work weekends and respond to emergency calls.
- Computer knowledge